Duke of Kent School was founded in 1976 by the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund. The School’s name honoured Prince George, the Duke of Kent, (1902-1942), who died in an air crash during the Second World War. The School was established primarily to educate the sons and daughters of former and serving RAF personnel. Many pupils were Foundationers, some of whom had lost fathers on active service. The School was formed by merging Vanbrugh Castle School with an existing School, Woolpit, at the Ewhurst site. Duke of Kent School became fully co-educational in 1978.